[GRASS-user] Re: Re: How to draw the earthquake-magtintude map...

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 09:14:14 EDT 2011

> Yasuo shimada wrote:
> > Now, I trouble about legend of magnitude - circle.
> > I will draw some cicles in the same point related to
> > dummy data of magnitude.
Hamish:
> Right, I haven't updated the eq tutorial in grass svn to
> include it yet, but I used the same dummy-data method to make a
> legend for the global eq plots:
>    http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/grass/earthquake_legend.png

I should mention that I've never been very happy with the idea
of needing a second figure just for the legend. Another approach
I've tried, which also solves the problem of clearly defining the
epicenter when the bubble around it is huge, is to add marker
symbols there as well as the rings. So the legend sort of happens
in-place.  For example:
  http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/grass/archive/gns_Chch_quakes_sept2010_to_feb2011.png

(backdrop is LANDSAT downloaded with the r.in.onearth addon
module and prettified with the i.landsat.rgb module; for
off-shore areas you might look at the colorized versions of the
ETOPO1 dataset, as it shows the deep sea trenches well. legend
in the bottom right was made using d.graph and d.text)

Hamish