[GRASS-user] Managing the Harmonized World Soil Database in GRASS

Luigi Ponti lponti at inbox.com
Fri Mar 25 14:18:13 EDT 2011

On 25/03/2011 11:44, Sylvain Maillard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some month ago I had to make some maps with the HWSD database. I used
> the mdbtool (http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/) to extract all tables
> from the .mdb file to some sql files. Then I just imported all the
> table in a postgres database, and it is quite easy to access them in
> GRASS ...
>

> Regards,
> Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

Thanks for your answer. I see your point.

After exporting the .mdb to PostgreSQL you can db.connect to it from the
GRASS mapset where the HWSD soil map is. However, I do not see how you
can then get the data on the map, given that a database links to a
vector whereas the HWSD map is a raster. How did you map the connected
database?

It would be nice if you could share a bit more of your experience with
mapping HWSD data.

Kind regards and thank you,

Luigi