[GRASS-user] GRASS & earth curvature correction (viewsheds, LOS)

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Thu May 26 06:46:06 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Benjamin Ducke
<benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hm-hm. Citing from the website:
>> "The problem is that the ratio of change due to air to curvature is
>> not 1:7 (0.13), as the standard refraction coefficient suggests. It is
>> 0.325.
>
> As far as I can tell, this is a mis-understanding. The value "0.325"
> applies to radio waves. Visible light is very close to 1:7.

What if I am interested in radio waves, not visible light, e.g. for
antenna relay positions? IMHO, that refraction coefficient should not
be hard-coded.

> I realize the whole discourse is somewhat "clouded". But I don't
> have access to most of the relevant literature for the time
> being, nor do I have the necessary scientific background

Me neither. But any correction should take into account that the
observer is not necessarily a human without optical equipment
(telescope etc), but can also be some technical device, e.g. a sender
or receiver of whatever signals.

my .2c

Markus M