[GRASS-user] making fcell raster maps using climate data

Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Sun May 29 23:34:00 EDT 2011

Bulent,

Others will probably have different suggestions, but first you must get your data into GRASS. Both involve first using v.in.ascii to import (assuming you have latitude-longitude coordinates) the identifiers and locations (lat-long) into GRASS. Then you could, say, bring the climate data into a sqlite database and then connect your imported IDs and locations you previously imported into GRASS to the sqlite database.

Alternatinely, and probably easier is to use v.in.ascii with the station IDs, lat & long values and the 13 climate values for each station as attributes to the vector points. See the v.in.ascii documentation for examples.

The next step is to do the raster spatial interpolation from the vector point data — there are many ways to do this within GRASS, using something as simple as inverse distance weighting to splines with tension or to use R and gstat within GRASS and use kriging.

Regards,
Tom