[GRASS-user] Re: Is it possible to export a Raster to KML

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Fri Oct 28 06:01:17 EDT 2011

>Hi
>I'm Sorry but I'm lost in this...
>So the email that you sent and those links in google point to use EPSG:4326
but the script requires a >different one ? That doesn't make any sense...
>If I define a Location with that geoid map that you sent me, will I have
what? EPSG:4326 or the one used >by r.out.kml?
>Thanks
>Kat
>

>http://www.google.com/search?q=google+kml+epsg
>
>    > -> 4326

see also here:
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_kml.html

as far as i understand the ogc-kml-manual
(http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/kml , =>  2.2.0 	OGC KML), the
Latitude-Longitude are in EPSG:4326, but measuring the height/elevation in
google earth is in EGM96 vertical datum and not in EPSG:4326.

in my experience overlaying kml (vector and raster) with EPSG:4326 in google
earth works relatively well in flat areas, in mountain areas there are
sometime distortions therefore.

HTH
Helmut