[GRASS-user] Re: Is it possible to export a Raster to KML

Jamie Adams jaadfoo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 18:08:14 EDT 2011

Roger is correct.  GE will just drape your raster data over it's terrain
mesh regardless of what vertical parameters your data has.  It is
essentially 2D with a z value and is interpreted as such.  That is why
EPSG:4326 works, because GE doesn't care about any other information.  No
conversions/shifts occur.

I export rasters from GRASS, generate hillshades, and overlay in GE using
gdal2tiles daily.  I seldom see any alignment issues, and when I do it is
usually my data.  Of course there are alignment issues in GE, but they will
vary place to place regardless of topography.

- Jamie