[GRASS-user] region settings

Daniel Lee lee at isi-solutions.org
Wed Aug 8 08:47:20 PDT 2012

Hi Janet,

Tthe data seems to be in a geographic (angular) coordinate system, which
means that you won't be able to get resolution in meters. Due to the
curvature of the Earth's surface, one arc second has a different length at
different latitudes. That's exactly what you're seeing in your example -
0:00:01 means 0° 0" 0'. The notation is in degrees minutes seconds (DMS)
rather than decimal degrees (DD), which I prefer, but however you look at
it, unless you reproject the data into a projected coordinate system like
UTM, etc., the resolution will be in that unit.

The short version of that long story is that your data sounds like it's
fine - 1 arc second is about 30m and so it looks like you've got the data
you wanted and GRASS interpreted it correctly.

Best,
Daniel

--

B.Sc. Daniel Lee
Geschäftsführung für Forschung und Entwicklung

Softwarecenter 3
35037 Marburg
Festnetz: +49 6421 379 6256
Mobil: +49 176 6127 7269