[GRASS-user] 3D Point Cloud Visualization

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 13 05:45:31 PDT 2013

Adrian wrote:
> My work with GRASS GIS is related to Airborne Laser Scanning
> (ALS) data. I have to discover archaeological structures. For
> the purpose I need to visualize the data as a 3d point cloud.
> How can I do that in GRASS?

start here:
   http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/LIDAR

(ground based laser scanning is more difficult as nviz doesn't
like more than a few million vector points, but actual 3D point
cloud viz is possible [see the "Help with 3D" wiki page])

if you really want point cloud viz, see the PCL library:
  http://pointclouds.org

GRASS focuses more on the analysis of LiDAR data (which is what
will give you answers instead of just the pretty pictures :)

see also www.liblas.org

Hamish