[GRASS-user] 3D Point Cloud Visualization for Archaeology

Rebecca Bennett rabennett at ymail.com
Sat Apr 13 13:31:22 PDT 2013

Hello Adrian,

You might want to pop over to here for a swift introduction to lidar visualisation for detecting archaeological features:

http://www.rspsoc.org.uk/SIG/ARCHSIG/NEWSLETTER/ArchSIG%20Newsletter%20Spring%202013.pdf

and here to read about the technical aspects of some of the visualisations that you might want to do when you've rasterised the data...

http://www.pushingthesensors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/RBennett_AP1414.pdf

all of which can be done in GRASS as per stuff I documented here:
http://www.pushingthesensors.com/thesis/

For point clouds there is a linux viewer from Oliver Kreylos http://idav.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/ResDev/LiDAR/index.html
and a free viewer from Fugro http://www.fugroviewer.com/ that works on Windows and linux (via WINE).

You may want to give some careful thought as to how you'd like to map / record the features you identify. Please feel free to contact me off list if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
Rebecca Bennett

Postdoctoral Associate, Wired! Group
Department of Art, Art History and Visual Studies
Duke University, Durham, NC
www.pushingthesensors.com