[GRASS-user] r.sun use - automaticcaly stopped process ?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 17 14:03:38 PDT 2013

simogeo wrote:
> I'm using r.sun for calculatin shadow and getting solar
> irradiance.
>
> I've tried to run both command on my raster :
>
> /r.sun -s elevin=calcul_rast incidout=shadow day=80
> time=17/
>
> / r.sun -s elevin=calcul_rast aspin=SOLaspect
> slopein=SOLslope day=80
> beam_rad=b_rad.080 diff_rad=d_rad.080 refl_rad=r_rad.080/
>
> The script start running but after a while, I always get the
> same error
> message : *Processus arrêté* (process stopped).
>

> Here is my raster file properties :
>
> zone:       0
> datum:      towgs84=0,0,0,0,0,0,0
> ellipsoid:  grs80
> north:      6834498.4129157
> south:      6818891.28705492
> west:       658872.26712997
> east:       672363.87733357
> nsres:      0.19999905
> ewres:      0.20000015
> rows:       78036
> cols:       67458
> cells:      5264152488
>
> Is my raster file too big? Is there a workaround? Actually,
> I need to work on large area since I also want to compute
> mountain shadows.

how much RAM do you have? Running 32 or 64 bit? Which operating
system?

Do the same commands work at a coarser resolution? 20000x20000
region size is known to work ok. anything bigger than about
45000x45000 gets into 64 bit/LFS territory.

Hamish

ps- 'g.region res=0.2 -a' will clean up/round off the messy
resolution value, if you like.