[GRASS-user] Fwd: problems running grass7 on Ubuntu 12.04

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Tue Feb 26 17:29:53 PST 2013

Chad Ferguson wrote:

> I am trying to run GRASS 7 on Ubuntu 12.04.  I am new to both GRASS and
> Ubuntu.  I believe I have it installed, but can't get version 7 to run.

Hi Chad!

How did you proceed in getting the software installed?

If I am not wrong, the current version in the official Ubuntu repositories
should (still) be 6.4.2-2build1 -- this is what you should normally see in
Ubuntu's Software Center.

If you see 6.4.3 and version 7 as well, does this mean that you added the some
Ubuntu-GIS repository?

Following links are recommended:
* <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS>
* <https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ppa/>

> When I search my Ubuntu Software Center it shows grass70 as installed.

O-kay.

> In a terminal when I type 'grass' I am prompted to run v. 6.4.3.  When I
> type grass70 I receive the following message.
>
> /usr/bin/grass70: 25: exec: /usr/lib/grass70/etc/Init.sh: not found

Confused... :-/

> I need to run GRASS 7 as I am trying to investigate the functionality of an
> add-on that is specific to this version.

> Certainly I have missed something along the way.  Can anyone help get me on
> track?

Try this from the scratch (if you want):

1. remove any installed grass package, e.g. by executing in a terminal

sudo dpkg -r grass

OR, simply search & remove it within from the Software Center!

2. Add the "ubuntugis-testing" repository available in Launchpad:
<https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-testing>.  The easiest
way is to launch a Terminal, and execute the following:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-testing && sudo apt-get update

3. Install grass7 from either the Terminal by instructing;

sudo apt-get install grass70

OR via the Software Center (it should appear!)

4. Launch grass70 via the terminal OR via Ubuntu's menu (should be also easy
to trace once installed!)

Gd Luck, Nikos