[GRASS-user] ps.map: rectangle over map border?

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Mon Mar 11 06:18:56 PDT 2013

Hi Moritz :-)

It doesn't work for me :-(.

Nikos A:
> > In ps.map,

> > is it (not) possible to overlay a color-filled rectangle, which exceeds
> > the map frame/border, and by doing so, it should be on top of the border?

That is "my English is pretty bad :-/" because I mean(t) that the rectangle
crosses the map's border.

> > Currently, no matter what I try, the map border is drawn on top of the
> > rectangle (within which I have placed a color table/legend).
> >
> > The colortable does not feature a background option (according to the
> > manual -- blindly tested as well)!?
> >
> > Is there a trick to overcome this problem? (--yes, I want to break the
> > convention of being inside the map frame)

Moritz L:
> AFAIK, just give the rectangle map coordinates that are outside the map
> frame. Ex:

> raster elevation at PERMANENT
> rectangle 637375 211190 643918 207236

note, the manual states:
rectangle east north east north -- typo?

>      color black
>      fcolor red
>      width 2.0
>      end
>
> with r.info -g elevation:
>
> north=228500
> south=215000
> east=645000
> west=630000

So, that means that it is:
rectangle west north east south?

What about the following:

did you try to place a box that is 1/3 inside the map-frame and 2/3 outside?
The map border is drawn on top of the rectangle.

The case here is that the class labels are too long to fit outside of the map-
frame.  Squeezing the colortable outside will make them hard to read.
Shrinking the map-frame is not an option -- the map is anyway kind of an
overview map -- lots of details will be lost.

Best, N