[GRASS-user] d.mon error (X11 problem?)

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Nov 11 20:30:17 PST 2013

Yeah, XQuartz is not a drop-in replacement to Apple's old X11, it's installed in in a completely different location.  It may still be compatible and work if GRASS can be relinked.  I'll have to experiment, but that may be a while since I haven't upgraded to Mavericks yet.

On Nov 11, 2013, at 8:25 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> It's possible that the XQuartz libraries are not compatible with the old X11, which the current GRASS binaries are built with.  GRASS would need to be recompiled for XQuartz.
>
> On Nov 11, 2013, at 8:12 PM, Lee Eddington wrote:
>
>> Marvin,
>>
>> I've downloaded and installed XQuartz but I'm still getting the same error.  I've tried starting X11 before GRASS and starting GRASS from the xterm command line, but no luck.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lee
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM, William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
>> Starting with 10.8 (I think) Apple stopped providing an X11 package.  You need to download and install X11 (XQuartz) on your own now.
>>
>> xquartz.macosforge.org
>>
>> (doesn't seem to be responding at the moment)
>>
>> On Nov 11, 2013, at 1:51 PM, Lee Eddington wrote:
>>
>>> I’ve recently started using GRASS again after a few years and I don’t remember a lot.  I previously worked with it for just a few months and was able to get some work accomplished, but I’m still a novice.  I’m working on a Mac with Mac OS X 10.9 and when I try to open a display monitor from the command line I get the following:
>>>
>>> GRASS 6.4.3 (bali_d03):~ > d.mon x0
>>> ERROR: no such monitor 'x0'
>>> ERROR: No such monitor as <x0>
>>> Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
>>> ERROR: No such monitor as <x0>
>>>
>>> I went back to my old system that I used GRASS on before (GRASS 6.4.0RCS running Mac OS X 10.6.8) and d.mon x0 worked fine.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin