[GRASS-user] Question about unidimensional and bidimensional waterflow analysis

Roberto Marzocchi roberto.marzocchi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 03:07:47 PDT 2013

Hi Diego,

I answer also to your question of yesterday about damflood.

- r.inund.fluv use a quasi-2D approach, but is not an hydrodynamic model.
It is only a way to export result of a 1D hydrodynamic model on an high
resolution DEM in order to obtain flooding map.

- r.damflood use a 2D approach even if we have only performed test with
dambreak initial condition and with a landslide generated tsunami. If you
go on the addon page (
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/AddOns/GRASS7/raster#r.damflood)  you find
the SWE.c library that solve the shallow water equations in GRASS using a
finite volume method as detailed described in Cannata M. & Marzocchi R.
(2012). Two-dimensional dam break flooding simulation: a GIS embedded
approach. - Natural Hazards 61(3):1143-1159

Finally r.dam is only a grass script which take advantage of r.lake in
order to create a reservoir that is one of the needed inputs of r.damflood
command.

I hope to answer to your questions...for further doubts do not hesitate to
contact me.
Best regards,
Roberto

--