[GRASS-user] Installing addon's using g.extension on Mac OSX 10.7.5?

Jens Hegg jensenhegg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 17:50:14 PST 2014

I am pretty new to GRASS but I seem to be slowly getting myself wrapped around how to work it. Unfortunately I could really use the r.stream addons but can't seem to install them. I've tried every way I can think of to run g.extension both through the qGIS GRASS command as well as in standalone GRASS 6.4.3. I get  "ERROR: The 'make' program is required. Please install first."

I've found a thread on here from Oct 2013 saying that this issue was, at one time, fixed for someone running OSX 10.8 (http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail//grass-user/2013-October/069133.html) and looking at the development wikis there are some bug reports about this error but I can't figure out conclusively whether they are fixed.

I've found this blog post showing a way to modify the modules directory so that addons can be added but it is older than the email thread and I wanted to get input before I start modifying things based upon it. (http://digitalelevation.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/installing-grass-add-ons-on-mac-osx/). There is also mention in the email thread above that there is a readme file with instructions on how to compile addons for OSX but that readme isn't included in the Kyngchaos.com download as mentioned and I can't otherwise seem to find it.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Jens Hegg