[GRASS-user] quick way to create a mask and region after zooming in?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 06:42:39 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 8:01 AM, Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Vishal
>
> in grass7 you have an option in the gui, in the map display window under
> "different zoom options", to set computational region from current display.
> So, you zoom to the desired extent of your area and set the region with
> that option.
>

> You can then save it with g.region -s region=my_region (in the PERMANENT
> mapset) and you don't need to apply any mask (unless you have to mask
> certain values), cuz all processing  will be done in the computational
> region.

Note that you "can save it", you don't have to. "Setting" the region is
enough.

Note also that

-d   Set from default region
-s   Save as default region

while

save   Save current region settings in named region file
region   Set current region from named region

See g.region --help for details.

The Map Display in GUI (the various zoom options button) lets you to save
named region and set named region. It also allows you to zoom to these
regions (without setting the region).

There is a lot of options but at the begging it is enough to know "set
computational region interactively", "set computation region extent from
display extent" (button in Map Display) and "set region from raster map"
(right click in Layer Manager).

Vaclav

HTH :)