[GRASS-user] LS factor for USLE

Martin Zbinden martin.zbinden at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 01:43:19 PDT 2014

Hi Laura,

I've done some RUSLE3d calculations before, but always based on
projected coordinate systems.

1) With r.watershed you seem to be on the right path, as trying to use
r.flow on a geographic coordinate system gives me this error:
"lat/long projection not supported by r.flow. Please use 'r.watershed'
for calculating flow accumulation."

However, I just tried by reprojecting elevation from north carolina
sampledata (nc_basic_spm_grass7.zip) to geographic and the results are
not the same before and after reprojection. I followed instructions in
[1], page 46f. I don't know anything about reprojections so the error
might lay there. But if your results are also very implausible, then
maybe better try again with projected coordinate system.

2) I never tried slope length based USLE calculations and cannot
answer this question. Page 158 ff in [2] explains many different
approaches to RUSLE in GRASS GIS.

Best regards,
Martin

sources:
[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/sampledata/north_carolina/

[2] Markus Neteler and Helena Mitasova, 2008,
Open Source GIS: A GRASS GIS Approach. Third Edition.

--
Martin Zbinden
Riedacker 523