[GRASS-user] align large number of images in a automated way

Hamish hamish.webmail at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 01:00:14 PDT 2014

Milton wrote:
> I have a large number of images that was taken using a camera in the
> top of a 15 m tall tower. Now I need to align or spatially
> synchronize them using same automated solution, because it is not
> feasible one by one (I have 18,000 photos). Any hint are welcome.
> best wishes

(I'll second the recommendation for Hugin, it's great)
http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
http://hugin.sourceforge.net/docs/manual/Autopano-sift.html

Stefan:
> If I understood you correctly, I think we are facing similar
> challenges, because we are planning to test our wildlife foto traps
> in a remote sensing context where we need to have a proper
> georeference for each image.
>
> I assume all your images are equal, means they cover the same surface
> on the ground and are taken from the same angle and with the same
> camera?
>
> Because of other obligations we have not really started the work yet,
> but we consider two alternative solutions: A full GRASS based
> ortorectification: http://gis.cri.fmach.it/uploads/CAGEO_2011.pdf
> (for this one I have to talk to our camera operator that he provides
> the necessary information on fiducial marks, and necessary camera
> parameters, not sure if we can make it work) Or (more "quick and
> dirty") using ground control points in gdalwarp
> (http://www.gdal.org/gdalwarp.html). Probably, you may have to add
> the GCPs to the image using gdal_translate (then VRT is a recommended
> output format) in advance to gdalwarp.

you may be interested in this earlier work, I seem to recall there was
a FOSS4G presentation/proceedings about it too some years ago too (does
a picture from a hill looking down on a dock with a Lake beyond jog the
memory of anyone?).

http://grass.osgeo.org/gdp/stereo-grass/index.html
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Image_processing#Stereo_ideas
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Orthorectification_digital_camera