[GRASS-user] Elevation differences between endpoints of least cost paths

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Fri Mar 21 15:47:32 PDT 2014

I'm stating with a DEM (named FD).

First I find streams:
  r.watershed elevation=FD stream=stream
  r.thin input=stream output=stream.thin

Then, for each point on the DEM, I need
 The distance to the nearest point in a stream
 The elevation difference to the stream point

I can get the distance by gollowing the example "Computing a distance map"
in Neteler & Mitasova's GRASS book:
  r.mapcalc area.one=1
  r.cost -k input=area.one output=dtv start_rast=stream.thin

So far so good, and the results make sense

But I would very much appreciate suggestions for the elevation difference.

I have been looking at various r.* routines, such as r.drain, but haven't
yet found a solution. I have very little experience with raster analysis.
(and in fact, I'm using the R package spgrass6 to manage the above steps)

Thanks
-Don

--
Don MacQueen