[GRASS-user] Suggested workflow for Importing DXF Wind Turbines onto Map in Grass 6.4.4

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Sep 6 15:50:52 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 10:57 PM, Paul Shapley <p.shapley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have imported a single wind turbine (dxf) into grass with v.in.dxf
> successfully. I need to position it on a map but do not know where to start.
>
> From the grasswiki pages it says it is best to use XY location

Not sure - better import it into your real world location and then
shift it around therein.

> but how do
> you assign known location co-ordinates to the base of a wind turbine
> (without a copy of AutoCAD). I would also need to add many more wind
> turbines onto the same map.Do i need to use v.proj/v.transform/v.rectify?

Say, you have a UTM location, import it into it with v.in.dxf.
Then get it into the right position with v.transform (scale x, y, and z).

> I might also need to set the height of the turbine but again not sure which
> is the best action.

The z scale of v.transform will do that. I got the water tower in
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Help_with_3D#Vector_3D_polygons
like that into the right position.

Sorry for the late answer,
Markus