[GRASS-user] how to tweak the parameters to speed up i.segment

Pietro peter.zamb at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 05:49:23 PDT 2014

Hi,

at the moment I guess the only way to speed up it is exactly what
suggested by Moritz:

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> You could possible speed up things if you have several CPUs by cutting up
> your image in several regions and processing them in parallel. Then you
> would probably want to patch the results and run i.segment again with this
> result as seed map. Haven't tried this, yet, though, and so I don't know
> what effect this will have on segmentation results.

Following this approach I've implement: i.segment.hierarchical
(grass-addons). I've used this module to segment an image (RGB) of 24
x 48 kpixels on my laptop in less than 12 hours (if I remeber
correctly). Still I think we can reach greater improvement working at
C level but I didn't have time to work on it I have just some ideas,
no code.

All the best

Pietro