[GRASS-user] conditional buffering with DEM

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Apr 23 11:58:10 PDT 2015

On 23/04/15 16:44, Ahmet Temiz wrote:
> thank you Nikos
>
> I meant that  creating buffers from a line, which also querying DEM values.
>
> DEM is in subquery position of buffer map

You cannot do that directly, AFAIK, but using r.mapcalc you can combine
the two variables. Different paths are possible. Here's one (supposing a
buffer of 500m):

- Create a raster map with distance to the line using r.grow.distance
- Use r.mapcalc in order to check for both distance and DEM value, e.g.

NewMap = if(DEM > 100 && DEM < 200 && distance < 500, 1, null())

This will give you a map with non-null (value 1) in those pixels that
are within the buffer distance and that correspond to the DEM-related
condition.

Is this what you are looking for ?

Another path would be combining r.buffer output with the DEM in r.mapcalc.

Moritz