[GRASS-user] Lost in encoding problem, v.in.ogr

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 19:16:30 PST 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Daniel Victoria <daniel.victoria at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I'm having trouble importing a shapefile with v.in.ogr that has some
> accented characters (like não, rodoviária).
> The shapefile opend fine in QGIS and I can open the dbf on libreoffice,
> setting the encoding to (windows-1252/winlatin 1).
> I imported the shapefile and if I run v.db.select or if I open the
> attribute data, accented characters are messed up. However, when I try to
> query the layer, an error message (png attached) will show telling me to
> check database settings and then gives me the reason for the failure. I can
> then see that the queried attributes in this windows all have the accented
> character.
>
> Has anyone had any luck with accented characters in v.in.ogr? I tried
> changing the encoding option in v.in.ogr but could not get it to work.
> I'm using grass7 from OSGeo4Win. Attached is the shapefile that I'm trying
> to import.

Try to specify the encoding in GUI settings -> Attributes -> encoding ->
windows-1252.
But it probably won't help with displaying in Attribute table manager.

To developers:
I am totally confused how the attribute encoding is currently implemented.
The ATM fails to display the characters correctly since environmental
variable GRASS_DB_ENCODING is not set. I can't find any place where it
would be set. The list of grass variable says that there is GRASS gisenv
variable GRASS_DB_ENCODING. Grep shows usage of GRASS_DB_ENCODING only in
gui and it is not set anywhere. Any idea someone?

Anna