[GRASS-user] problem addon v.in.ply with grass 7 on ubuntu 14.04

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Jun 5 06:55:03 PDT 2015

Dear Carmine,

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Carmine Massarelli
<carmine.massarelli at ba.irsa.cnr.it> wrote:
> Dear Markus,
> I left the PC working (workstation 32GB) in elaboration for all the
> nightwithout results and without receiving any errormessages.
> On the Windows machine (4 GB) complete processing took about 8 hours.

I just tried with the file which I got offlist from you:

GRASS 7.0.1svn (nc_spm_08_grass7):~ > g.extension v.in.ply
Fetching <v.in.ply> from GRASS-Addons SVN repository (be patient)...
Compiling...
Installing...
Updating addons metadata file...
Installation of <v.in.ply> successfully finished

GRASS 7.0.1svn (nc_spm_08_grass7):~ > time -p v.in.ply
input=Downloads/pmvs_options.ply output=pmvs_options
Importing 1338857 vertices ...
Building topology for vector map <pmvs_options at neteler>...
Number of primitives: 1338857
Number of points: 1338857
Number of lines: 0
Number of boundaries: 0
Number of centroids: 0
Number of areas: 0
Number of isles: 0
v.in.ply complete.
real 60.93
user 47.52
sys 19.30

==> something like 1 minutes on my Fedora 21 box.

GRASS 7.0.1svn (nc_spm_08_grass7):~ > v.info -t pmvs_options
nodes=0
points=1338857
lines=0
boundaries=0
centroids=0
areas=0
islands=0
faces=0
kernels=0
volumes=0
holes=0
primitives=1338857
map3d=1

Lots of points... looks all good to me.

> I just remember that I had trouble installing the addon on grass maybe due
> topermissions, therefore i wonder if there is a special procedure for the
> installation.

On Ubuntu you may need to install addons with the -s flag of g.extension.

Hope this helps,
Markus