[GRASS-user] reference for publications?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Jun 9 07:43:53 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com>
wrote:
> The text seems fine to me. Just some ideas/questions:
>
> - What about adding something like "See citation options with: g.version
-x"
> below "See the licence terms with: g.version -c" in the welcome screen in
> the terminal?

Yes. done in r68658, it now looks like this:

Welcome to GRASS GIS 7.3.svn
GRASS GIS homepage:                      http://grass.osgeo.org
This version running through:            Bash Shell (/bin/bash)
Help is available with the command:      g.manual -i
See the licence terms with:              g.version -c
See citation options with:               g.version -x
Start the GUI with:                      g.gui wxpython
When ready to quit enter:                exit

GRASS 7.3.svn (nc_spm_08_grass7):~ >

I have also homogenised the flag style

g.version
Flags:
  -c   Print also the copyright message
  -x   Print also the citation options         <<--- new
  -b   Print also the build information

> - And also an example of how to cite an add-on?

Please write one :) On the other hand I omitted it to not highlight a
single one.

> - Why YEAR isn't picked up automatically from the version? Would that be a
> mess? Or is it on purpose just to remain generic?

Mess - the CITATION file which is read by g.version would need to be parsed
for that.
Some regex/string magic would do that but I am not able to implement string
replacement stuff.
Anyone?

Best,
Markus