[GRASS-user] map display query and layers

Dave Roberts droberts at montana.edu
Tue Oct 4 07:48:46 PDT 2016

Dear Moritz and Helmut,

     v.what works perfectly; thanks for that.  Sadly, the issue reflects
my misunderstanding.  I thought the map display GUI was calling v.what
with coordinates extracted by the GUI from the mouse click.  I have been
talking about the map display query tool on wx# all along, so I
apologize if I have used the wrong vocabulary to describe the problem.

     File PERMANENT/.tmp/hostname/MONITORS/wx0/cmd correctly reflects
the layer request from d.vect, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get
the GUI query tool to honor that, but I'm just beginning to dig into
GRASS source code and I wouldn't want to tackle this yet.

Thanks, Dave

On 10/04/16 06:32, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:
> Dave Roberts wrote
>> Thanks Helmut, Thanks Anna
>>
>> I compiled the trunk version, and the map query tool now clearly behaves
>> differently, but not how I expected
>>
>> 1) it shows all layers in the map query results, regardless of what
>> layer (if any) was selected in d.vect
>>
>> I.e.
>>
>> d.vect map
>> d.vect map layer=1
>> v.vect map layer=2
>>
>> all have identical results in map query.  In addition, specifying layers
>> that don't exist emits no warning, e.g. d.vect map layer=999
>> works fine, and behaves the same as any of the d.vect commands above
>>
>> 2) it highlights selected features in yellow, and the selected features
>> (areas in my case) reflect layer #1, no matter what layer is requested
>> in d.vect.  I.e. d.vect map layer=2 map queries highlight layer 1.
>>
>> I had been working on this with a quite complicated imported data set,
>> so to isolate the behavior more clearly I created the data below

material deleted to reduce the  length