[GRASS-user] r.lake questions

Thomas Adams tea3rd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 10:28:41 PDT 2016

Rich,

You understand, don't you, that the point you are using to define your
'dam', delineates a watershed; so, there is runoff from the watershed,
which will not be uniform in its contribution -- a fundamental issue in
hydrology, which is more critical to quantify accurately at smaller spatial
scales -- knowing the rainfall rate alone will not give you what you need.
You also need to generate a storage-elevation curve, which will relate the
water level (which r.lake needs) to the volume behind your dam (assuming
none escapes, otherwise the problem gets more complicated) -- the change in
volume depends on the inflow rate, which a hydrologic model will provide.
Typically, hydrologic models are calibrated against observed flow data.
There is the further assumption that the inflow spreads over the lake
surface instantaneously, which for a small surface area is not altogether
unreasonable...

Tom