[GRASS-user] create location from CLI

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Sep 6 08:15:46 PDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Sajid Pareeth <spareeth at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>>

>>    I'm trying to understand the simplest way in GRASS7 to create a location from the command line without using a georeferenced file.  So far, it appears to be
>>
>> % grass70 -c newLocation
>

> Did you try parsing the EPSG code of the location you want to create?
>
> For example:
>
> grass71 -c epsg:3035 /home/user/grassdata/mynewlocation
>
> The above command will create a new location in epsg 3035 projection.

In GRASS GIS 7.2 you can even create and import in a single line,
using the new --exec magic:

mneteler at wernstrom ~ $ grass72 -c epsg:3035 ~/grassdata/newloc3035
--exec g.region -p
Cleaning up temporary files...
Creating new GRASS GIS location/mapset...
Executing <g.region -p> ...
projection: 99 (ETRS89 / LAEA Europe)
zone:       0
datum:      etrs89
ellipsoid:  grs80
north:      1
south:      0
west:       0
east:       1
nsres:      1
ewres:      1
rows:       1
cols:       1
cells:      1
Execution of <g.region -p> finished.
Cleaning up temporary files...
mneteler at wernstrom ~ $

Pretty powerful (instead of direct GRASS commands you can also specify
a script etc.).

See
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/grass7.html#examples

Markus

PS: Yes, we will release 7.2 soon but yet fixing some last minutes issues...