[GRASS-user] Importing data in .atx/.gdb format [RESOLVED ... REALLY!]

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Sep 15 10:40:06 PDT 2016

>    I just tried to import a different transportation map in OpenFileGDB
> without success. The location is the same as the previous map so I let
> grass create a new mapset, moved the source files there, restarted grass,
> and was told there was no layers selected. That's because none were
> displayed from the source .gdb directory.
>
>    From the command line 'ogrinfo -al -so' fails;

What do you exactly mean by "fail" ? Does it report something like

FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource `foo.gdb' with the following drivers.
  -> PCIDSK
  -> netCDF
  -> JP2KAK

or

INFO: Open of `foo.gdb'
      using driver `OpenFileGDB' successful.

but no layer are reported ?

>    it cannot open any file
> regardless of type. Yet, the directory contains the same file names as the
> previous transportation map: *.atx, *.gdb*. The metadata.xml file has no
> EPSG number listed so I used the same 2992/mod 6 as with the other map.

(Side note: metadata.xml is not something required in a file geodatabase, so
this is completely ignored by the driver. Must be something specific to your
data provider. The projection info used by the driver is stored in one of the
"system" .gdb tables)

>    Can someone suggest a diagnostic procedure to identify what's different
> with this data set?

Do you get error messages ? Otherwise adding "--debug on" (double dash before
debug) to the ogrinfo command line might give extra messages. Otherwise you
could share the dataset or a link to it, and could have a look.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com