[GRASS-user] Importing NAIP from WMS?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Jul 4 05:41:26 PDT 2017

Hi Jeshua,

I haven't tested r.in.wms yet, but I can help you to learn about the WMS
layers:

- as the r.in.wms manual[1] states, you must always look at the
capabilities of the WMS service to get the layer names

- a list of NAIP services can be found at
https://gis.apfo.usda.gov/arcgis/rest/services/NAIP/

- clicking on the NAIP/California service, on the resulting page there
will be a small "WMS" link in the top left of the page, this is the
GetCapabilities for that service, click it
(https://gis.apfo.usda.gov/arcgis/services/NAIP/California_2016_60cm/ImageServer/WMSServer?request=GetCapabilities&service=WMS)

- look for a <layer> <name> parameter in that response.  Unfortunately
ArcGIS services are awful for metadata, so you can see here that the
layer is named "0"  (lovely, so very helpful, ha).

- if you want another way to find your WMS layer names, use that service
in QGIS and click on the "Add WMS layer" button, create a new
connection, and use this for the URL:
https://gis.apfo.usda.gov/arcgis/services/NAIP/California_2016_60cm/ImageServer/WMSServer?

Hope that helps.

[1] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass73/manuals/r.in.wms.html