[GRASS-user] Importing NAIP from WMS?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Jul 4 06:54:31 PDT 2017

Followup:  I was able to get the NAIP California WMS service working
with GRASS, here were my steps:

- installed winGRASS 7.3-dev from
https://wingrass.fsv.cvut.cz/grass73/x86_64/

- followed steps in the manual to execute a GetCapabilities request:

    - in "Console" tab, executed this command:

          r.in.wms -c
url=https://gis.apfo.usda.gov/arcgis/services/NAIP/California_2016_60cm/ImageServer/WMSServer?

- then used the "Add web service layer" menu item in GRASS:

    - File/Map display/Add web service layer

    - in the "Server" box enter:
https://gis.apfo.usda.gov/arcgis/services/NAIP/California_2016_60cm/ImageServer/WMSServer?
and click "Connect"

    - wait for GetCapabilities to be parsed

    - you should see a new dialogue window below open, with a layer listed

    - click on the layer, select "EPSG:4326" as your source projection
(assuming you have setup a GRASS location for that projection), select
"png", and press "Add Layer"

- the California image should appear in your map display

- note that I used another WMS service to load the world continents
(such as http://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/wms?) and then zoomed into
California extents that way, so I could see that layer

- should look like: https://pasteboard.co/GznOi0u.png

Hope that helps!  Have a good week (and happy late Canada Day!!)

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/