[GRASS-user] Hardware requirements to run GRASS

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Jun 13 08:01:09 PDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Luí­s Moreira de Sousa
<luis.de.sousa at protonmail.ch> wrote:
> Dear Rich, in general I agree with you. They also asked for my Fax number,
> this particular journal seems to be still in the XX century.
>
> However, there are some basic clues I could give. For instance, can GRASS
> run on a 16-bit system? Or 8-bit?

Probably :-) If you still find such machines... I'd write 32bit
minimum, nice-to-have: 64bit.

Some hints are on these pages:
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Software_requirements_specification
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Performance

> What is the minimum RAM required to launch the GRASS console?

I guess that without the GUI something like 300MB are enough. Most RAM
need is driven by the data, so large(r) data require more RAM as
indicated by Rich.

Best,
Markus

PS: The cited text was written by David A. Hastings 2 decades ago (see
the last line in the old posting),
      original: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/GIS-GRASS/index.html

--
Markus Neteler, PhD