[GRASS-user] Hardware requirements to run GRASS

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Jun 13 08:53:31 PDT 2017

On 13/06/17 17:01, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Luí­s Moreira de Sousa
> <luis.de.sousa at protonmail.ch> wrote:
>> Dear Rich, in general I agree with you. They also asked for my Fax number,
>> this particular journal seems to be still in the XX century.
>>
>> However, there are some basic clues I could give. For instance, can GRASS
>> run on a 16-bit system? Or 8-bit?
>
> Probably :-) If you still find such machines... I'd write 32bit
> minimum, nice-to-have: 64bit.
>
> Some hints are on these pages:
> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Software_requirements_specification
> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Performance
>
>> What is the minimum RAM required to launch the GRASS console?
>
> I guess that without the GUI something like 300MB are enough. Most RAM
> need is driven by the data, so large(r) data require more RAM as
> indicated by Rich.

The nice thing about GRASS GIS (and I think that not many other software
packages have this), however, that many modules can be run using low RAM
as well (see the raster modules with the memory option and the
GRASS_VECTOR_LOWMEM environment variable). This allows to run complex
analyses on large datasets with low levels of RAM. You just have to be
ready to wait ;-)

Moritz