[GRASS-user] Projection errors with Aster GDEM and SHP Files

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 12:16:48 PDT 2017

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 1:27 PM, preiaen <nils.hempel at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm trying to combine a ASTER GDEM and some shape files from a different
> source in one mapset. I created a location using the aster_dem.tiff and
> another location using the .shp file.
> Now I want both maps in one mapset with a different projection. The import
> with r. / v.proj works without errors, but the displayed result is wrong.
> The either the raster or the vector map is getting shown in a wrong
> position.
> When I use QGis however and open the imported GDEM from the Grass Mapset
> together with the shp directly the vector maps are getting shown in the
> right position. Can someone tell me where I make my mistake. All
projections
> are wgs84 based but not the same.

Probably something went wrong when the locations for the ASTER GDEM and/or
the shapefile were created. For the ASTER GDEM, you can compare the output
of gdalinfo with the output of g.proj in the location created for the ASTER
GDEM. For the shapefile, you can compare the output of ogrinfo with the
output of g.proj in the location created for the shapefile. If the
gdalinfo/ogrinfo output does not match the output of g.proj, you would need
to create a location based on the output of gdalinfo/ogrinfo. If this does
not help, you could provide a download link (offlist if need be) to the
ASTER GDEM and the shapefile, then we can try to reproduce the problem.

Markus M