[GRASS-user] large shapefile not importing properly with v.import

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 13:35:36 PDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 10:07 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de> wrote:

> Thanks for testing
>
> >Apparently, there are a lot of polygons in Natura2000 data that are
>really
> overlapping, e.g.
> >SITECODE: UK0030395
> >SITENAME: Southern North Sea
> >with
> >SITECODE: UK0030352
> >SITENAME: Dogger Bank
> >
> >Maybe some sites have been updated (both spatial delineation >and name),
> but the old versions have not been deleted
>
> there are 3 site types in the data: sites according to the Bird directive
> (A), sites according the Habitat directive (B) and sites according to both
> Directives (C).
>
> Overlapping of A and B are ok, overlapping  A and B or A and C should be
> incorrect.

That explains a lot of the errors. Thus I should import only one of the
site types A, B, C at a time, e.g. v.in.ogr where="SITETYPE='A'", correct?

Unfortunately, with the example I mentioned, the two overlapping polygons
are both of site type B, suggesting that the update of the database did not
remove the old entry.

Markus M