[GRASS-user] Unable to open the Corine land cover map using GrassGIS 7

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 11:33:22 PDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm facing this same problem...
>
> I have my EPSG:3035 location and when using r.import with -o flag to
override projection check and import corine land cover, I get:

> GRASS 7.3.svn (eu_laea):~> r.import -o input=g250_clc06_V18_5.tif
output=clc06_V18_5_250m resample=nearest extent=region resolution=value
resolution_value=250  title="Corine Land Cover 2006 - 250m - V18.5"
> ERROR: Unable to convert input map projection to GRASS format; cannot
create new location.
> ERROR: Unable to read GDAL dataset <g250_clc06_V18_5.tif>
>
> while -o flag is supposed to override the check and import. This used to
work before. Am I missunderstanding something here?

r.import needs to be adjusted to import the raster map directly into the
current location if the -o flag is given.

The underlying reason is that g250_clc06_V18_5.tif has projection
information that is invalid. This invalid projection information is printed
out as WKT before the error messages. You can also check with gdalinfo
g250_clc06_V18_5.tif

Markus M

> thanks a lot in advance,
> Vero

>> for the record, the problem is that for Corine Land Cover 2012, the
Coordinate Reference System embedded in the raster data is

>> LOCAL_CS["Geocoding information not available Projection Name =
ETRS_1989_LAEA Units = meters GeoTIFF Units = ot",
>>     UNIT["unknown",1]]
>>
>> while it should be
>>
>> PROJCS["ETRS89 / LAEA Europe",
>>     GEOGCS["ETRS89",
>>         DATUM["European_Terrestrial_Reference_System_1989",
>>             SPHEROID["GRS 1980",6378137,298.257222101,
>>                 AUTHORITY["EPSG","7019"]],
>>             TOWGS84[0,0,0,0,0,0,0],
>>             AUTHORITY["EPSG","6258"]],
>>         PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,
>>             AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],
>>         UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433,
>>             AUTHORITY["EPSG","9122"]],
>>         AUTHORITY["EPSG","4258"]],
>>     PROJECTION["Lambert_Azimuthal_Equal_Area"],
>>     PARAMETER["latitude_of_center",52],
>>     PARAMETER["longitude_of_center",10],
>>     PARAMETER["false_easting",4321000],
>>     PARAMETER["false_northing",3210000],
>>     UNIT["metre",1,
>>         AUTHORITY["EPSG","9001"]],
>>     AUTHORITY["EPSG","3035"]]
>>
>> Apparently the creators of the data tried to hide the Coordinate
Reference System in the GIS data available for download.

>> Markus M
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 7:13 PM, Hakim Benoudjit <h.benoudjit at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > You're right I wasn't using the gdal commands that come with OSGeo4W
(with that version of gdal it's working well), I was working with a version
of gdal that I've compiled from source. So probably some flags had to be
set during the compilation, but I forgot to do so.

>> > Hakim.

WGS84 using the following command:
C:\Data\Corine-Land-Cover\g100_clc12_V18_5a\subset.tif
C:\Data\Corine-Land-Cover\g100_clc12_V18_5a\subset-wgs84.tif

GDAL_DATA environment variable to point to the directory containing EPSG
csv files.

the Legend folder (clc_legend.csv), which gives the index of each type of
land cover.
for, and how to provide it on Windows (should I add an environment variable
set to the path of this file)?

by default its own gcs.csv file, there should be no need to specify this
file or GDAL_DATA explicitely.

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/r.import.html).

data, therefore r.import will not work and you need to define the CRS
(EPSG:3035) manually.

Behalf Of Hakim Benoudjit

version) for Europe using GrassGIS, which can be downloaded from
http://land.copernicus.eu/pan-european/corine-land-cover/clc-2012.

supported (The projection is ETRS89 (EPSG:3035)),  while the projection of
the location I'm trying to import the raster to is WGS84 (EPSG:4326). Here
is the error shown in GrassGIS: ERROR: Coordinate reference system not
available for input <C:\Data\Corine Land
Cover\g100_clc12_V18_5a\g100_clc12_V18_5.tif>