[GRASS-user] OpenFileGDB input error

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 08:41:26 PDT 2017

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> > On Sun, 24 Sep 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:
> >
> >>  Using the GUI I ran v.in.ogr, specifying the directory in which the
file
> >> is found (the location uses the final EPSG reported when 'ogrinfo -al
-so'
> >> was run with output directed to a file), the format, and clicked the
single
> >> layer in the Input tab. This is the displayed error message:
> >>
> >> (Sun Sep 24 11:59:03 2017) v.in.ogr
input=/home/rshepard/data/grassdata/wash-state-data/farmland/2016WSDACropDistribution.gdb
layer=WSDACrop_2016
> >> Check if OGR layer <WSDACrop_2016> contains polygons...
> >> Importing 198132 features
> >> Importing 198132 features (OGR layer <WSDACrop_2016>)...
> >> ERROR: Unknown geometry type
> >> (Sun Sep 24 11:59:59 2017) Command finished (55 sec)
> >

> >   More information I should have included. From the ogrinfo metadata:
> >
> > Layer name: WSDACrop_2016
> > Geometry: Multi Polygon
> > Feature Count: 198132
> >
> >   What does GRASS call 'Multi Polygon'?
>
> Each polygon of a multi-polygon is imported separately, later on polygons
are converted to GRASS areas.

> Regarding the error message, GRASS recognizes the OGR geometry types
point, linestring, polygon, geometry collection, multi-point,
multi-linestring, multi-polygon. Other OGR geometry types like curves and
surfaces are not supported.

A multi-surface has sneaked into the layer with multi-polygons, that's
causing the error in v.in.ogr.

We could change that error into a warning, skipping OGR geometries of
unsupported type.

Markus M