[GRASS-user] Creating presentation maps: g.gui.psmap, ps.map, wx.psmap

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 18:03:33 PDT 2018

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 6:58 PM Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

>    The g.gui.psmap manual page's description for the module includes the
> statement, "It works better with files created by wx.psmap (more tested)."
> cannot find wx.psmap.

wx.psmap is the same as cartographic composer, I reformulated it little so
that it makes more sense.

>    Backing up to the parent page (the Cartography box in the lower left
> corner) and navigating to the postscript commands manual produces the
> heading of the parent page:

hm, not sure what you mean here

> "GRASS GIS 7.5.svn Reference Manual
>
> Geographic Resources Analysis Support System, commonly referred to as
> GRASS,
> is a Geographic Information System (GIS) used for geospatial data
> management
> and analysis, image processing, graphics/maps production, spatial modeling,
> and visualization. GRASS is currently used in academic and commercial
> settings around the world, as well as by many governmental agencies and
> environmental consulting companies.
>
> This reference manual details the use of modules distributed with
> Geographic
> Resources Analysis Support System (GRASS), an open source (GNU GPLed),
> image
> processing and geographic information system (GIS).

>    Tucked away under that is the link,
>   "Postscript commands:
> ps.map  Produces hardcopy PostScript map output."
>
>    I suggest that the page be eliminated and the link from the main module
> directory's 'Cartography' link go directly to
> <https://grass.osgeo.org/grass75/manuals/ps.map.html>.
>
>    At the bottom of the psmap page is a section, "CHANGES BETWEEN VERSION
> 5.0.x/5.4.x and
> 6.0" that probably be safely removed.

I removed it

>    It has been many years since I've used ps.map. If I'm correctly reading
> the manual for g.gui.psmap I need to create the ps.map input *.txt file,
> then use g.gui.psmap to tweak it. Is this correct?

no, you can work with cartographic composer (which is basically GUI for
ps.map) directly. You can then export a file which can then be used with
ps.map, or reloaded into cartographic composer.

Best,
Anna