[GRASS-user] GRASS GIS virtual raster data sets

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Fri Jun 1 00:09:08 PDT 2018

Hi,

Some experience with GDAL VRT and GRASS:

Be aware of: https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2837

Also note also that esp. for integer rasters, compression of one big raster map can be much better than with lots of smaller tiles [1]. So I guess cases where patching by means of a virtual raster is most beneficial is in intermediate steps of an analysis chain…

Cheers
Stefan

1: https://www.mail-archive.com/grass-user@lists.osgeo.org/msg33125.html