[GRASS-user] question on Stray light Landsat 8 data

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 12:24:27 PDT 2019

Dear Gabriel,

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 12:19 AM Gabriel Cotlier <gabiklm01 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Markus,
>
> Thanks a lot for the clarification and explanation, your response was
indeed helpful.

> I got for all maps in the mapset I used, for both the DMSP original
raster layers and the intercallibrated rasrer layers the following:

> r.info map= name_of_raster_map
>
> 360 degree EW extent is exceeded by 1 cells
> 360 degree EW extent is exceeded by 1 cells
>
> Which, following what you said before in your response I understand makes
it correct region, right?

this region is correct considering the resolution with is now exactly 30
arc seconds.

this region is not correct considering that 360 degree EW extent is
exceeded by 1 cell. The first column from 180:00:15W to 179:59:45W and the
last column from 179:59:45E to 180:00:15E spatially overlap, the first and
last column of DMSP are duplicates with regard to their location. If you
want to avoid this warning, you can set the region to w=179:59:45W
e=180:00:15E.

Markus M

> Another question I wanted to ask is: how to know whether the operation of
intercallibration was correctly done, for tha I thought maybe thare is the
a place from where I can corroborate whether the min and max values of each
intercallibrated raster layer is correct?

> I'm attaching the log of all the files I got from 'r.info' command in it
there appears always for the region '360 degree EW extent is exceeded by 1
cells' and  also the min and max value of each intercallibrated raster
 layer.

> So as to know if I got all the raster correctly intercallibrated maybe
checking if the min and max value for each intercallibrated corresponds
correctly is there a place where I can check that?

> Maybe according to my attached log file is possible to know if all the
intercallibration operation was correctly done and thus the layers are
ready for further study and analysis.

> Thanks  a lot again for your help.
> Kind regards,
> Gabriel

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 4:41 PM Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 12:05 AM Gabriel Cotlier <gabiklm01 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > Hello,
>> > My question is how does it influence the fact that it say:
>> > 360 degree EW extent is exceeded by 0.999827 cells
>>
>> this is caused by the truncated resolution of 0.008333333300000
>> with a corrected resolution of 00:00:30, the message  is
>>
>> > 360 degree EW extent is exceeded by 1 cells
>>
>> considering the EW extents of 180:00:15W to 180:00:15E, that means that
the first column from 180:00:15W to 179:59:45W and the last column from
179:59:45E to 180:00:15E spatially overlap, the first and last column of
DMSP are duplicates with regard to their location. If you want to avoid
this warning, you can set the region to w=179:59:45W e=180:00:15E.

>> Note that the recommended way to set a computational region to a raster
map is g.region rast=name_of_raster_map. After that, as for DMSP, you might
want to adjust the computational region to your needs, e.g. a smaller
region of interest, or restrict it to 360 degrees EW extent in case the
raster map is exceeding 360 degrees EW extent.

>> HTH,
>>
>> Markus M
>>

>> > while when I loaded a first file I defined a region as
>> >

>> > which is exactly I suppose the correct region for the DMSP data....
then after loading the  other layers it appears:

>> > 360 degree EW extent is exceeded by 0.999827 cells
>> > 360 degree EW extent is exceeded by 1 cells
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot
>> > Gabriel

can I run this code as python package/lbrary loading it from Spyder or
Jupiter Notebook instead of using GRASS interface, if so how is a
convenient  way to install   i.nightlights.intercalibration in python using
Spyder?

intercallibratrion of DMSP 1992-2012 but for some reason It doesn't work to
me. I think is because the problem between the region of the layers 30 arc
sec should resolution be from 0.008333333300000 to 0.008333333333333, i.e.
exactly 30 arc-seconds? and the computational region be the same ? I got
stuck on how to set it to work... from the side of the region setting.

image=F101992,F101993,F101994,F121994,F121995,F121996,F121997,F121998,F121999,F141997,F141998,F141999,F142000,F142001,F142002,F142003,F152000,F152001,F152002,F152003,F152004,F152005,F152006,F152007,F162004,F162005,F162006,F162007,F162008,F162009,F182010,F182011,F182012,F182013
suffix=c model=elvidge2014 -t

is exactly 30 arc for the raster as I could see....

nik at nikosalexandris.net> wrote:

> [...]
Landsat 8

https://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/landsat-8-thermal-data-ghost-free-after-stray-light-exorcism/