[GRASS-user] Qn on 'exhibit scale' to print maps

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Thu Dec 19 00:33:12 PST 2019

Hi Vishal,
My rule of thumb is ALWAYS put a scale-bar on any map.
These days the map maker never knows how/where/on what their maps may be
printed.

I know your query relates to a fixed one-off map print under controlled
conditions, but my comment relates to weening map readers off numeric
scales.

HTH,
Zoltan

On 2019/12/19 01:14, Vishal Mehta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had someone ask me about how to print a map at 'exhibit scale'.
> Basically, if a map scale is say 1 inch : 100 feet, they want to make
> sure that the printed map is such that the printed scale on the
> printed map is actually 1 inch in measurement.
>
> I was told this is common practice in construction, design CAD work.
>
> So i thought this was probably to do with setting the resolution (dpi)
> and size of the map image file (jpg) and experimented around. I was
> surprised to find that indeed i could not easily get the map printed
> the way i wanted. i ran into issues of printer resolution too (which i
> dont think has anything to do with the solution)
>
> This is probably a dumb qn, but i'd appreciate an answer!
>
> Thanks!
> Vishal
>

> --
> Vishal K. Mehta, PhD
> Sr. Scientist
> Stockholm Environment Institute - US
> 133 D St Suite F
> Davis CA 95616
> www.sei-us.org <http://www.sei-us.org>

Zoltan Szecsei GPrGISc 0031
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028     (WhatsApp only)
Qatar:  +974 5083 2722     www.geograph.co.za