[GRASS-user] Loading LPC data in GRASS

Andreas Yankopolus andreas at yank.to
Tue Mar 23 15:11:43 PDT 2021

I’m starting to work with LiDAR point cloud (LPC) data with the goal of creating multi-band rasters that list terrain height, surface height, and surface type. GRASS looks like the ticket for visualizing LPC data and processing it into GeoTIFFs using Python scripting.

I’m on Ubuntu 20.04, and it appears that LPC support requires compiling your own binary, which I did from the GitHub repo following these instructions:

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu <https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu>

The resulting 7.9.dev binary has v.in.pdal but not r.in.pdal. Is there a way to get the latter working? All the tutorials I’m finding refer to r.in.lidar, which appears similar to r.in.pdal but relies on deprecated liblas instead of pdal.

Looks like d.vect will get me from a vector layer to a raster layer but haven’t figured it out yet. Should I import using v.in.pdal then convert to raster with d.vect?

Thanks,

Andreas