[GRASS-user] Classification of greyscale images

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Jul 5 00:18:55 PDT 2024

Hi Paola,

Automatically classifying monochrome images is not easy. If you really
want to use classical methods, your best bet is probably to create a
series of pseudo-bands based on indicators such as texture (e.g. using
r.texture, or possibly also r.neighbors). Another approach would be
object-oriented, first segmenting the image into coherent segments and
then calculating indicators for each of these segments, but segmentation
generally also works much better on multiband imagery, so if you use,
e.g., i.segment, then you would probably also have to create a series of
pseudo-bands. Or you can try with r.clump.

When I've worked on such images in the past, neural network approaches
seemed to actually work best. Here's an example on (fairly bad quality)
historic images:
https://dipot.ulb.ac.be/dspace/bitstream/2013/312410/3/FCN_for_historical_images_AUTHOR_VERSION.pdf.
Since we've done that work, networks have evolved very rapidly, and you
should probably be able to get better results nowadays.

Moritz