[winGRASS] libG11

Malcolm Blue mblue at nb.sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 3 07:16:25 EDT 2001

Actually, I did think about it too.  Back in March I had hacked the source
file from the Cygwin version of tcltk to compile and run tcltkgrass.  At the
same time, Andreas had compiled the standard tcl/tk distribution, so we went
with that.  I had tested compiling tcl/tk against Xlib at that time and
found a number of problems.  Version 8.0 was closer than version 8.3,
though.

TCL version 8.0 compiles OK.  TK needs a number of changes since that need
to interface to X. But many of these can be found in the tcl/tk source (for
compiling on windows).

The scriptics tcl/tk web pages say that they are working on getting it to
compile with gcc (currently the windows version compiles with MS VC++).

There are some options:
1) Fix standard tcl/tk (Unix compile) to compile with libW11.
2) Wait for tcl/tk Windows version to be ported to gcc and use this.
3) Fix the cygwin source patches to compile properly and run within cygwin
(currently they have a bad mix which doesn't compile properly with the
cygwin dll - they use mingw ).
4) Check out some of the previous patches for tcl/tk cygwin distribution.

I suggest that we finish debugging libW11 for basic grass, then look at
these options some more.  (Although I revisited this a bit on the weekend
too :) ).  In the meantime, we should find out how close the tcl/tk port to
gcc is.

Malcolm

---