[winGRASS] libG11

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Oct 3 12:00:10 EDT 2001

Hi all,

Roberto flor and me did some tests with NVIZ. Following situation
we have:

 - tcl/tk 8.0 is already present in cygwin (latest)
   [don't install the xtcltk package from grass-server!]
   this version contains some path problems, see below.

 - we did some NVIZ hacking to include missing header files,
   fixed two general include problems and a missing definition
   in Xlib.h (libG11). NVIZ now compiles! we had to remove from Gmakefile.in
   the references to -lXmu -lXext, they should arrive through configure on
   $(XEXTRALIBS) for non windows platforms.  We added some files from tlctk
   sources on windows and flagged some part of togl.c code for X11 only
   We have fixed the togl.c and the missing files in CVS already.

   Glynn, may I ask you to look into the configure problem related
   to -lXmu -lXext?

   Again, when manually changing the Gnakefile, NVIZ now compiles without
   libG11. It pops up a window for a few seconds (see other tcl/tk problems
   below).

 - other change for configure:
	under win32/cygwin we need in head
        OPEGLLIB           = -lopengl32
        OPENGLULIB         = -lgdi32 -lglu32

   It could be useful to remove also -lX11 from head, putting it back
   just on the Gmakefile for Xdriver, the only point where we need X11
   on win32 compilation.

 - Problem: the tcl/tk does not support cygwin-paths properly,
   see CYGWIN-FAQ here:
   http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC65

   This means that neither tcltkgrass nor NVIZ will work since
   the code is spreaded within several directories.
   A solution is to use the TCL_LIBRARY variable, but we are unable
   to define multiple paths here, since you have to define the
   driver number ("c:") as well, but ":" is also the path separator...
   Tomorrow (?) we'll try to rebuild the tcl/tk.

 - tcltkgrass: if the multiple path problem would be fixed (CYGWIN-FAQ),
   it may run ...

So far for today,

cheers

 Roberto and Markus