[winGRASS] Can't start TCLTKGRASS in winGrass with generic version

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Tue Mar 26 17:50:36 EST 2002

Markus Neteler schrieb:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:41:10AM +0900, Hisaji ONO wrote:
> >  Thank you for your response, Mr. Neteler.
> >
> > > If you are refering to winGRASS without Xserver requirement, the
> > > "tcltkgrass" is not present because there are limitations in the
> > underlying
> > > tcl/tk libraries. You may try to install "ActiveTcl" to overcome the
> > > problem:
> > >
> > >  http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActiveTcl/
> > >
> > > eventually then it will be working. Please inform us about your results
> > > when trying ActiveTcl.
> > >

> >  I've already installed this, but the result was same.
>
> Sorry to hear that - it seems to be quite tricky.
>
> We need to get more details about the error message - any guru
> out there? The tcltkgras is included in the package.

Hi all, Hi Markus,

the Active State tcl/tk will not get you any further. I am a bit tired
of reiterating the problem:
- the cygwin wish does not understand the cygwin paths. Besides that
there are other problems, e. g. hardcoded xterm references everywhere,
/dev/null, piping not fully working with cygwin.
- the Active State tcl/tk does not know anything about cygwin, paths do
not work, etc. Would require a full rewrite of tcltkgrass to get it
working.
- my "xtcltk" distribution works quite well with the StarNet XWin
Server, its a bit slow. With the XFree86 for cygwin it is unbearable
slow and there are some problems with the Server (no localized keyboards
by default, 3 buttons mice not emulated with 2 buttons by default etc.).

My personal opinion is that the best route to follow would be a cygwin
wish shell which understands the cygwin paths and
adaption/conditionalization of some windows-only things. Its IMHO very
weird that the cygwin wish does not understand the cygwin paths.

Andreas
url: http://mitglied.lycos.de/AndreasLange
mail: Andreas.Lange_at_Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange_at_GMX.net