[winGRASS] Problem with r.in.gdal

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Jan 21 10:15:12 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 02:35:36PM +0100, Jerome wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First, sorry for my [very] bad english. I hope you can read my explains.
>
> Second, I'm totally newbie with Grass :-)
>
> I downloaded one landsat 5 scene from ESDI
> (http://glcf.umiacs.umd.edu/index.shtml). This scene is made up of 7
> images (tiff), 1 per captor, and 1 header file (format hdr). I want to
> import each image in Grass and, after some list and Faq reads, I try
> this command : r.in.gdal -e input=/home/scene.tif output=scene_nn1. When
> I use this command, an error message occurs : "Segmentation Fault - Core
> Dump". I tried to give a location too, but in vain.

Solution 1:
 Please let us know for which area the LANDSAT data are.
 I recently worked with Botswana data, unfortunately some (all Botswana?)
 LANDSAT data have corrupted GeoTIFF tags as they contain a reference
 to northern hemisphere instead of southern hemisphere. Also all UTM
 coordinates were wrong for my data. This problem has been reported to
 GLCF and is under review.
 Try to use 'gdalinfo' first to check if the coordinates and UTM definitions
 are fine.

"Solution" 2:
 r.in.gdal was reported no to be functional under winGRASS. I don't know
 about the current status.

"Guess" 3:
 My tries to auto-generate a GRASS location for southern hemisphere
 with r.in.gdal failed. Maybe that was related to above GLCF problem (I
 didn't try again). This *may* only apply if you work on southern
 hemisphere.
 At least for northern hemisphere r.in.gdal works well.

Maybe we have some other users here with different experiments.

Regards

 Markus Neteler