[winGRASS] Problem with r.in.gdal

Andreas Lange Andreas.C.Lange at GMX.de
Wed Jan 22 11:19:07 EST 2003

Markus Neteler wrote:
> "Solution" 2:
>  r.in.gdal was reported no to be functional under winGRASS. I don't know
>  about the current status.

Hi,

i think it depends on the version of winGRASS. The version i compiled
with the X driver did not contain a working r.in.gdal, as i never could
compile the gdal library on windows. Maybe the version with the native
windows driver worked with gdal lib, but i never tested.

The cygwin environment has undergone many changes since i wrote the
installation instruction (e. g. the new setup system, there is a sunrpc
package now!), and i had a nearly-working auto-installable grass package
last year. But i decided to abandon further development, as i was not
able to support all those external dependencies (XFree, sunrpc, gdal,
nviz, tcl/tk etc.). I think that we should decide which route to go for
the windows port (only X or only native windows driver), as i (we?)
don't have the capacities to maintain two versions (and documentation)
for the windows port. It costs a lot of effort to create really
fool-proof documentation and setup system and to cope with all the
windows quirks.

If there is interest and others are willing to join, i will revive the
project.

Andreas