[winGRASS] GRASS newbie - HELP

Todd Buchanan trbuchanan at scatcat.fhsu.edu
Fri Mar 4 13:26:51 EST 2005

I am in the process of trying to learn GRASS.  I am actually going to be
using GRASS for part of my thesis.  I am experienced with GIS, but
unfortunately 98% of my experience is with ESRI stuff.  I have gotten
Cygwin and GRASS 6.0 installed on my windows machine but I am having
lots of problems getting data imported into GRASS, specifically
projected data in shapefile or e00 format.  Data that is in GCS and not
projected seems to import fine, but importing any projected data such as
LCC gives me a "need to set datum transformation parameters" message.  I
have tried importing to a new location just to get it into GRASS but I
get the same message.  Is there a trick to this or am I completing
leaving something out of the process?  I have also looked all over the
place for documentation on this but there doesn't seem to be a surplus
of "how-to" manuals for GRASS.  Does anyone have any suggestions on
where to begin?  Thanks.

todd