[winGRASS] Navigating drives and directories

Larry Layne ljlayne at unm.edu
Fri Mar 18 18:33:57 EST 2005

After successfully installing cygwin and GRASS 6.0.0 per the instructions
found at http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html I'm now trying to begin learning the
GRASS software, and am new to this mailing list. As a short preface, I have
been an ESRI software user (Arc/Info, ArcGIS, ArcView 3.x) for 10 years,
primarily on M$ OSes. Currently I use computers running 2000 SP4 and XP SP1.

I installed cygwin according to the above instructions, specifically in
c:\cygwin. In GRASS, I specified the database to be in
c:\cygwin\home\laynent\grass_data with the LOCATION in newLocation. From
the "GRASS 6.0.0 Data Selection" window I can navigate to the /home
directory (= c:\cygwin\home) but no further (such as to the c:\ directory).
Likewise if I want to import data, such as a shapefile, in the "v.in.ogr"
window I cannot navigate further than the c:\cygwin directory. That is, if
my shapefile data is in the drive and directory d:\shapedata\year2000 it
appears that I would have to copy any shapefiles in this directory into at
least the c:\cygwin directory.

Is GRASS limited to working only within the c:\cygwin directory and its
subdirectories, or is there some setting that can be made so that I can
navigate to other drives and directories from within GRASS 6.0.0?

If there are help pages/manuals or messages in the mailing list that deal
with this issue, could you please direct me to them.

Thanks for any assistance.

Larry